Monday 3 February 2014

You have to laugh sometimes!

On Friday I went to my GP and before I'd even sat down she said she was a bit bemused by something on my computer records.  I took a look and there it was on the screen:

Ultrasound 6/40 Viable

My GP asked me if I was pregnant and I burst out laughing.  I said it was very unlikely considering I had a hysterectomy in 2010!

The surgery has never been very good at keeping records, letters can take two weeks to get processed (that is if they aren't lost, filed in the wrong place or shredded before anyone has the chance to read them) but this takes the biscuit.

I assured my GP I was NOT pregnant.  She presumed the ultrasound result belonged to someone with a similar name and had been put on my record in error.  We had a laugh about it but it didn't fill me with much confidence.  What if it had been something that needed urgent attention?  It doesn't bear thinking about.

I know I moan about my GP surgery a lot but they did redeem themselves this morning with their efficiency.  I had a blood test done on Friday to check my vitamin D levels.  It's Monday today and the surgery just called me to say they were 24 and should be over 75 so a prescription for Adcal D3 has been left for me at reception.

I've had low vitamin D before and I'm in two minds about taking the medication.  A couple of years ago my level was 14, which is classed as deficient, and I had to chew the chalky 'fruiti tutti' flavoured horse pills every day.  They didn't make me feel any better and when I was retested and found to have normal levels I stopped taking them.

There is much debate about vitamin D on the internet, some say it is best absorbed from sunlight, not that we're getting very much of that in England at the moment!  Others say it's best in liquid form.  I have no idea what to do so I think I'll give the pills another try and do a little more research.

One other thing.  I went to see my GP about the carpal tunnel testing, I explained I had numbness in my little fingers and she agreed with me that the problem was likely to be with my ulnar nerve and not carpal tunnel as the doctor from Stanmore suggested.  So I don't have to wear the wrist braces but I do have to have the same nerve conduction tests, which I'm not looking forward to, but at least I'm moving in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment